Registering Sensory Loss

Registering as blind or partially sighted

Visit your GP or optician if you’re having problems with your sight. They can refer you to a consultant ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who will be able to assess whether you qualify to register as sight impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight impaired (blind).

If you qualify, the ophthalmologist will complete a certificate of vision impairment. They will send it to your local social services department who will contact you to find out what help and advice you need.

If you're registered with your local authority as blind or partially sighted, you may be entitled to travel concessions, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard. If you're registered as blind, you may also be entitled to other concessions, such as a Blue Badge parking permit and a discount on your TV licence.

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) provides further information about registering your sight loss and the benefits of registration.

Registering as deaf

You should also visit your GP if you’re having hearing problems. They can refer you to a hearing specialist.

You can also contact the Access and Advice Service on 020 7527 2299 for help and advice about the range of services available.

Registering with your local authority as deaf may entitle you to travel concessions, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard.

The Action on Hearing Loss website has information about benefits and services for people with hearing loss.

Who to contact

Parent Organisation
Sensory Team

Last Updated

Last updated:


Comment on this listing Save to My shortlist