Islington Leisure Team is part of the Environment and Regeneration department within Islington Council. The team:
- manages the leisure centre contract with GLL
- helps to develop and improve leisure facilities within the borough
- secures external funding for Islington’s leisure facilities and to increase levels of physical activity
- increases the profile and capacity of sports clubs in the borough
- promotes physical activity, such as through the Go Islington event, a sports festival first held when the Olympic torch came through Islington in 2012, and repeated in 2013, 2014, 2016-19
- is a central part of ProActive Islington, a partnership to increase involvement in sport and physical activity in the borough
- promotes sport and physical activity to council and other public sector staff in Islington.