The Incredible Years programme supports parents to develop confidence in being a parent. The group provides the opportunity to meet other parents whilst learning positive parenting strategies to increase the child’s self-esteem and reduce aggressive behaviour problems. Parents will develop an understanding of the different child developmental stages and how to manage misbehaviour as a child develops - to promote academic success in later life and build effective social relationships.
This programme is for parents who want to strengthen their relationship with their child and get the best behaviour out of their children. Parents receive a weekly call by the facilitator to help put ideas into practice at home.
Delivery includes group discussions, group activities, use of video clips and ‘have a go’ tasks to try at home.
- Length of Programme: 13 weeks. Each session is 2 ½ hours.
- Refreshments and Crèche are provided.
- Social and emotional coaching to develop social skills and manage children’s emotions.
- Using praise and incentives to encourage co-operative behaviour.
- Rules, responsibilities, routines and effective limit setting.
- Strategies to manage misbehaviour and reduce aggressive behaviour problems.
- Conflict management skills and building effective social relationships.
WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE GROUPS DELIVERED?
The groups take place in Islington Schools (term time only).
Refer to the parenting programme timetable for details of the next programme. www.islington.gov.uk/parentingprogrammes
HOW DO I GET ONTO THIS GROUP?
Parents can self-refer to this programme.
Please note that access to this programme will involve a pre-group parent assessment. This enables the facilitators to build a clear picture of what each parent’s support needs are and ensure that this is the most appropriate programme for them.
WHO DO I CONTACT?
Parents or referrers can contact the setting directly or contact email / tel below for tailored advice to confirm if this is the most appropriate programme for a family.