Latin American Women's Aid (LAWA)
Latin American Women’s Aid runs the only two refuges in Europe by and for Latin American women and children fleeing gender-based violence. We also offer holistic and intersectional services, providing everything a BME woman needs to recover from abuse and live empowered lives.
These include advice and support, crèche, English classes, counselling, a Change Maker empowerment program, a housing policy project (WAHA) and children and young people´s services.
We welcome women of all abilities, from any cultural context, ethnicity, social class, religion and sexuality. We are proud to be bisexual, lesbian, queer and trans women inclusive.
Who to contact
- 020 7275 0321 020 7275 0321 0795 853 6242 - Emergency Line 0795 853 6242 - Emergency Line
- Scan to visit this website
The Print House
3rd floor room
18 Ashwin Street
- E8 3DL
Time / date details
- Opening times/date
- Information Centre: Monday and Thursday 9:30am to 5:30pm, Wednesday 9:30am to 1:00pm. Refuge: 9:30am to 5:30pm or by calling our emergency line. Samira Project: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Cost Details
- No. Refuge rent charges apply. No financial assistance from LAWA.
- Who is this service for?
- The service is for Latin American Women and their children (boys up to 13 years old, girls no age limit) and other Spanish or Portuguese speaking women who are experiencing domestic violence.
- Can I refer myself?
- Referral not required
- Referral Details
The Refuge and the Advice and Outreach Services have separate referral procedures. In both cases, referrals are taken over the telephone from agencies, or individual women. We accept women and/or children who are experiencing an abusive relationship. Initially a staff member will speak directly (by telephone) to the woman concerned and then assess her needs. For refuge space, women are interviewed for assessment prior to an offer being agreed.
- Additional Languages
- Spanish, Portuguese