Making a complaint about adult social services

Making a complaint about Islington social services:

If you have any feedback or wish to make a complaint about any service you receive from Adult Social Services please contact your social worker.

If they can't resolve the issue, or you don't have an allocated social worker, you can send your feedback to the Customer Services Team at the People Directorate. The People Directorate is the council department responsible for Adult Social Services in Islington.

We will log your complaint and complete an investigation in accordance with our adult social service complaints process.

After we have completed our investigation, you then have the option to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Making a complaint about another organisation

If you have any feedback or wish to make a complaint about an organisation that is providing your care package or service, please contact the relevant organisation first.

They will have their own complaints procedure which they can share with you.

If we pay for your service, either directly or through a Direct Payment plan, you also have the right to make a complaint to us.

We will then investigate the complaint in accordance with our adult social care complaints process.

After we have completed our investigation, you then have the option to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.


If your complaint includes any allegations of neglect or abuse, you should raise a safeguarding alert by calling the Access Service on 020 7527 2299 or by emailing

What is abuse?

There is no set definition of abuse, but this can include:

  • Financial abuse – which includes having money or property stolen, being defrauded or ‘scammed’, or being put under pressure in relation to money or other assets like property, or having money or other property misused.
  • Physical abuse – which includes assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication, restraint, and inappropriate physical sanctions.
  • Psychological abuse – which includes emotional abuse, threats of harm or abandonment, deprivation of contact, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, and harassment. Also includes verbal abuse, cyberbullying, isolation, unreasonable and unjustified withdrawal of services or support networks, or withdrawing or limiting access to medication or essential assistive equipment.
  • Sexual abuse – which includes rape, inappropriate touching, indecent exposure, and sexual acts to which the adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
  • Discriminatory abuse – which includes harassment, slurs, and any other type of abuse due to the person’s race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religion.
  • Organisational abuse – which includes neglect and poor care practice within an institution or specific care setting, or in relation to care provided in a person’s own home. This may range from one-off incidents to on-going ill-treatment.
  • Neglect and acts of omission - includes ignoring medical, emotional or physical care needs; failing to provide access to appropriate health or care and support; or withholding the necessities of life, such as medication, nutrition and heating (whether intentional or not). Not enabling access to assistive equipment like hearing aids, walking aids, or dentures may be neglect but can also indicate coercive control.
  • Domestic abuse - includes violence, psychological, sexual, financial, emotional abuse and patterns of coercive and controlling behaviour during a relationship between intimate partners, former partners who still live together, or family members, and honour-based violence. Threats to family pets or other family members can be a form of domestic abuse.
  • Self-neglect – which covers a range of behaviour related to neglecting to care for one’s own personal hygiene, health or surroundings and includes behaviour such as hoarding.

Information for service providers

We expect any organisation who provides services for Islington residents to have their own complaints policy and to investigate any complaints received in accordance with this policy.

If the service provided is paid for by Islington Council, the service user also has the right to make a complaint directly to Islington Council. The service provider should inform the service user of this right when they first start providing a service, and whenever they receive a complaint from a service user or an advocate.

If a complaint includes any allegations of neglect or abuse, the service provider should immediately raise a safeguarding alert by calling the Access Service on 020 7527 2299 or by emailing

Who to contact

Contact Name
People Directorate Customer Services Team
020 7527 8047 / 8046 020 7527 8047 / 8046


222 Upper Street
N1 1XR

Other Details

Who is this service for?
Anyone who receives support from Islington adult social care, including commissioned services, or an advocate acting on their behalf

Last Updated

Last updated:


Comment on this listing Save to My shortlist