Chicks, Country Holidays for Inner City Kids
CHICKS (Country Holidays for Inner City Kids) is a registered charity which provides free respite breaks to disadvantaged children from across the country. The breaks are designed to give children from inner cities, children living in poverty and those from abusive backgrounds, as well as young carers, the chance to have a break away from their circumstances. The breaks are situated at our three retreats in Cornwall, Devon and Derby. Each break caters for a maximum of 16 children (8 boys, 8 girls) and CHICKS aims to offer a high adult to child ratio of 1:2 with 6 volunteers and 3 fully trained and supportive staff on each break. CHICKS strive to get the children involved in as much as they can during their stay and activities range from swimming, horse-riding, surfing and climbing, to arts & crafts, trampolining and face painting. The breaks are designed to give the children a chance to be children, to get away from difficult circumstances and enjoy a week of excitement and new experiences, and a holiday that they would not otherwise have.
Who to contact
- 01822 811020 01822 811020
- Scan to visit this website
- PL19 0LX
Time / date details
- Opening times/date
- Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm. Each break runs from mid-Monday to mid-Friday every week. (From March to November)
- Cost Details
- The 5-day respite breaks are FREE. Please note; CHICKS cannot cover the cost of the transport to and from the child's home. We will collect the children from an agreed pick-up place, from which point the break is free until the Friday collection point.
- Who is this service for?
- Children and young people aged 8 to 15 years.
- Can I refer myself?
- Referral required
- Referral Details
We accept child referrals from a variety of different organisations, these include Social Services, Young Carers groups, Church Groups, Youth Clubs, Schools and GP's. To put forward a child to us you must be from a professional organisation (not a parent or relative of a child).