The Incredible Years programme supports parents to effectively manage their child’s behaviour as they grow and develop (and enter primary school). The group provides the opportunity to meet other parents whilst learning how to manage misbehaviour using age-appropriate positive parenting strategies. The programme will also help parents to strengthen their relationship with their child. Parents receive a weekly call by the facilitators to help put ideas into practice at home.
Delivery includes group discussions, group activities, use of video clips and ‘have a go’ tasks to try at home.
- Length of Programme: 14 weeks. Each session is 2 ½ hours.
- Refreshments and Crèche are provided.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This programme is for parents and carers with children aged 3 - 6 years old.
- Social and emotional coaching to develop social skills and manage children’s emotions.
- Using praise and incentives to encourage co-operative behaviour.
- Rules, responsibilities, routines and effective limit setting.
- Strategies to manage misbehaviour including ignoring, ‘time out’ and logical consequences.
- Enhancing parent-child communication
- Giving and getting support.
WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE GROUPS DELIVERED?
The groups take place in Islington Children’s Centres (term time only).
For more information on other Parenting Programmes and a full timetable see: www.islington.gov.uk/parentingprogrammes
HOW DO I GET ONTO THIS GROUP?
Parents can self-refer to this programme.
Please note that access to this programme will involve a pre-group parent assessment. This enables the facilitators to build a clear picture of what each parent’s support needs are and ensure that this is the most appropriate programme for them.