Skip to main content

Action for Children - Short Breaks Service

Action for Children has been running short breaks for children with aged 5–18 years, with ASD and other special needs and disabilities in Islington since 2012.

Our team of experienced staff help the children to make independent choices at the play centre. The play centre has a mixture of structured activities and free play which support the continuous learning and development of your child outside school.

We use approved learning tools aimed to provide the best outcomes for each individual child. The Cubitt play centre has a sensory room, a library. We have a big hall and a small hall. In addition we have a lovely enclosed garden and playground with a trampoline, swings, and climbing tower with slide. We also have access to bikes and a pirate ship. 

Who to contact

Contact Name
Simone McArthur
Contact Position
Service Coordinator


Action for Children
3 Cubitt Street
United Kingdom
Accessibility notes

Our short breaks service is located near Kings Cross in Cubitt Street. We provide services for children who live in the Islington borough.

Time / date Details

Opening times/date
Office is Open Mon to Fri 9am-5pm (answer machine is on if no one is onsite)
Session Information
Monday After School Club 3:30-6pm
Saturday club term time 10am - 3pm
Holiday Club- Half terms, Easter, Summer, Christmas - Mon to Fri 10am -3pm (days can vary depending on Bank Holidays)

Other Details

Who is this service for?
Islington children aged 5-18 with special needs (ASD and complex health needs).
Can I refer myself?
How to refer or apply

We provide a short breaks service for children aged 5 -18 years. ASD & and other special needs and disability who are resident in Islington.

Contact the Disabled Children's service in Islington to discuss access to short breaks services. Once it is clear your child would be eligible, you will then be contacted by Action for Children to arrange an initial induction meeting at the play centre with you and your child.

The Personalisation officer or your social worker will make a decision about eligibility.

Record updated: 03/02/2021