Yoga for the Special Child, is a unique therapeutic yoga method that has changed the lives of countless children with special needs around the world. The program was pioneered by Sonia Sumar who had a daughter with Special Needs herself. Sonia designed this method in order to help and enhance the natural development of her own daughter and consequently help other children with special needs. Sumar has been teaching this method for over 40 years and her work has received a fantastic worldwide recognition and is being celebrated as the best yoga therapy method for children with Special Needs.
The Practice is gentle, therapeutic and yet very effective and powerful. It is safe for babies and children with Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Microcephaly, Autism and many other conditions and developmental challenges. It is also recognised as an effective treatment for children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder, ADHD, learning disabilities and global developmental delays.
An integrated series of balanced Yoga poses to increase body awareness and strength. Specialised breathing exercises, eye exercises and relaxation techniques to improve focus and concentration. Vocal work to improve speech, strengthen lungs and deeply oxygenate the whole entire body. Yoga for the Special Child is also a fantastic early intervention program that can assure the healthy formative development of infants and toddlers.
The benefits of regular yoga practice specifically for children with special needs are countless:
- Improved sleep
- Improved behaviour emotional balance and ability to transition from one activity to another
- Better stronger improved internal organs function
- Improved breathing in daily activities thus better body function
- Improved motor and muscular functions and self-regulation
- Relaxed nervous system, leading to lower anxiety levels
- A noticeable improvement in focus, coordination and communication skills
- Better blood circulation and brain oxygenation, thus better cognition
- Improved level of physical awareness.