The Incredible Years programme supports parents to feel less stressed and become more confident in managing their child’s behaviour. The group provides the opportunity to meet other parents and learn positive parenting strategies to help reduce negative behaviours and increase positive child behaviours. This course is for parents who want to strengthen their relationship with their child and get the best behaviour out of their children. Parents receive a weekly call by the facilitators to help put ideas into practice at home.
Delivery includes group discussions, group activities, use of video clips and ‘have a go’ tasks to try at home.
- Length of Programme: 13 weeks. Each session is 2 ½ hours.
- Refreshments and Crèche are provided.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This programme is for parents and carers with children aged 1-3 years.
- Child-directed play and child development.
- Promoting language and supporting pre-school readiness.
- Social and emotional coaching.
- Encouragement and praise.
- Identifying positive behaviour and giving appropriate rewards.
- Handling separations and reunions and establishing predictable routines.
- Positive discipline – setting limits and managing misbehaviour.
WHERE & WHEN ARE THE GROUPS DELIVERED?
The groups take place in Bright Start Islington Children’s Centres (term time only).
For more information on other Parenting Programmes and a full timetable see: www.islington.gov.uk/parentingprogrammes
HOW DO I GET ONTO THIS GROUP?
Parents can self-refer to this programme. Depending on which area in Islington you live, you can contact the Bright Start Children's Centre Teams (East, South or West). Please email the corresponding Bright Start team - see below. Alternatively, ask a member of staff at your local Children's Centre
Please note that access to this programme will involve a pre-group parent assessment. This enables the facilitators to build a clear picture of what each parent’s support needs are and ensure that this is the most appropriate programme for them.