- A support helpline for anyone with diabetes, their friends, family and carers.
- Diabetes UK Careline is the only dedicated diabetes helpline in the UK.
- The confidential helpline is staffed by trained counsellors who can provide information on living with diabetes as well as the time to talk things through.
We can help with queries about a range of topics. Here are just a few examples of the questions we are often asked:
- I've just been diagnosed. What should I do now?
- I'm finding it difficult to accept the diagnosis – how do I cope?
- What can I and can't I eat? Can I still drink alcohol?
- What are the different types of tablets and insulin? What are the possible side effects?
- When and how often should I test?
- What should my blood glucose levels be? What if they go too high or too low?
- What's the law about driving?
- I'm about to go on holiday abroad. How do I keep my insulin cool in a hot country? What else do I need to consider when travelling?
- My child has diabetes and finds it hard to give up his treats. Why don't you recommend diabetic chocolate and sweets?
Not everyone has a specific query, some just call simply to talk through their concerns or how they’re feeling.
Please be aware that we don't have access to your medical records, so you may need to go back to your healthcare team for answers to some questions.