Islington Handy Person Service
This service is run by Islington Council.
Who is eligible?
The service is for older residents & those with a disability. Carers in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or Direct Payments can also use the service.
You do not need to live in a council property to be eligible. However, the service does not cover repairs that are the responsibility of a landlord.
What kind of repairs can the service do?
There is a range of works covered by the scheme, this includes:
- Electrical works e.g. fix loose sockets, replace light fitting, fit additional phone socket
- Home maintenance e.g. fitting curtain rails or shelves, assembling flat pack furniture, Carpentry works like dealing with problems with doors and windows
- Plumbing e.g.plumbing in washing machines, repair of leaks in pipe work, replacement taps and fittings
- Security e.g. door & window locks, fitting spyholes & chains, hinge bolts etc
This is not an exhaustive list and residents should ask the team if the repair they require is covered by the scheme.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Housing Direct
- 020 7527 5400 (option 5) 020 7527 5400 (option 5) 0800 694 5400 (option 5) 0800 694 5400 (option 5)
- Cost Details
- There will be a charge to service users for the service. The fees for those eligible and accessing this service are a subsidised labour charge offered on two rates: Rate 1: £10/hr for households on low income Rate 2: £25/hr for households NOT on low income These rates will be inclusive of VAT and chargeable at half hourly intervals; £5.00 or £12.50 respectively. Service Users accessing Rate 1 must be in receipt of a means tested benefit. The service will advise users on eligibility and the rate they will be charged. Service Users will be requested to show proof of benefits received.