Islington Virtual School provides information, advice and support to improve the education, learning and life chances of children and young people who are or have been in care.
We are required by law to appoint a Virtual School Head, whose purpose is to ensure we promote the education of looked-after children and previously looked-after children. Islington Virtual School also supports the education, employment and training of care leavers.
- Looked-after children are those who are in the care of the local authority;
- previously looked-after children are children who have previously been in care but are now adopted or placed on a Special Guardianship Order;
- Care leavers are young people aged between 18 and 25 who have left care but continue to receive support from us.
The Virtual School Head manages a service called the Virtual School which ensures that we effectively carry out our duties in accordance with the law.
The key functions of the Virtual School are to:
- Monitor and promote the educational progress and achievement of care experienced children and young people.
- Ensure that Personal Education Plans are current, relevant and effective tools for improving the educational progress of Islington’s looked-after children.
- Ensure the Pupil Premium Grant is used effectively to improve the educational progress of looked-after children and previously looked-after children.
- Support schools, colleges and Designated Teachers to develop an understanding of the needs of care-experienced children and young people and put in place effective support for children and young people.
- Provide advice and guidance for social workers, personal advisers parents and carers on issues relating to the education employment and training of care experienced children and young people.
- Commission or fund additional resources to support the education, employment and training of care experienced children and young people.
- Develop and implement programmes and activities to support the education, employment and training of care experienced children and young people.