Parenting a child with ADHD
This programme has been specially designed for parents and carers of children aged 5 - 11 years who have a confirmed diagnosis of ADHD/ADD by a professional. The programme meets the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) parenting programme guidelines.
This group provides parents & carers with information about ADHD and supports them to develop skills and strategies to improve their child’s behaviour. It incorporates the 123 Magic™ approach, a general parenting programme which has been adapted for use with children with ADHD.
Length of Programme: 10 weeks*. Each session is 2 ½ hours.
*An initial parent information session takes place before the programme for parents to register.
Refreshments are provided.
We are unable to provide a crèche.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Parents & carers of primary school children who have a diagnosis of ADHD given by a professional
- Understanding Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- The 123 Magic™ approach to effective discipline
- Developing and implementing household rules, schedules and routines.
- Supporting your child at school.
- Giving clear and calm instructions.
- Rewards and praise.
- Staying positive and looking after yourself.
- Support available from other professionals and services
WHERE & WHEN ARE THE GROUPS DELIVERED?
All sessions take place on Thursday mornings (10 am-12.30 pm) at the Northern Health Centre, 580 Holloway Road, N7 6LB. Groups take place in September and April (term time only).
HOW DO I GET ONTO THIS GROUP?
Parents must be referred onto this programme by a professional (e.g., CAMHS worker, Social Worker, GP or school staff). Professionals can download the referral form from the Islington Parenting Directory. Search ‘ADHD’ to bring up the programme information and documents.
Parents will be invited to a Parent Information Meeting which will give information about the group and the opportunity to register. This enables the facilitators to build a clear picture of each parent’s support needs and ensure that this is the most appropriate programme for them.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Claire Usiskin (Family and Systemic Psychotherapist) Islington CAMHS
- 020 3316 1824 020 3316 1824
- Northern Health Centre
580, Holloway Road
- N7 6LB
Time / date details
- Opening times/date
- Thursday mornings (10 am-12.30 pm)