The District Nursing service provides professional nursing in the community, thereby helping to avoid unnecessary admission to hospital and facilitating early discharge.
The service is organised into teams aligned to general practices. It is a 24-hour service, run 365 days per year, and encompasses:
- comprehensive nursing assessment with or without clinical management
- nursing care of patients with complex needs / rapidly deteriorating / changing medical conditions
- nursing advice and support for people with severe disabilities whose carers are unable to cope
- advice, health education and promotion of self-care
- rehabilitative care, such as helping people to regain independence after an illness
- nursing care of people with chronic conditions who require ongoing nursing intervention
- palliative care and advice
- practical help, support, teaching and advice to carers
You can contact the district nurses by calling the District Nursing message service on 020 7288 3555. The nurses are often out in peoples’ homes so this is the quickest way to get in touch with them.
If a health professional wants to make a new referral to the district nurses please call the Administrative Referral Team Islington (ARTI) on 020 3316 1111, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Fax number: 08447746419. They are open Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.45pm.