Skip to main content

Search results (2992)

Information and advice

 Directory results

Prevalence of SEND in Islington schools

According to the Summer Term 2017 School Census, there were 4,618 children in Islington schools with a SEND (18.5% of all Islington pupils). 3.6% of children in Islington schools had an Education, Health and Care Plan. Both figures are higher than national, London and statistical…

Privacy Policy

To change the text here, simply log in and go to your 'Resources' datastore. This page is an entry and can be edited.

Problems in school

Check out ... ... your rights to education and what to do for example, if you: are excluded from school are from another country cannot get in to the school you want. You can also contact the Child Law Advice Line (freephone) on 0300 330 5485…

Provision Mapping

What is a provision map? A provision map is a management tool providing an 'at a glance' way of documenting and showing the range of interventions, additional staffing and support that a school makes available Provision maps enable schools to look strategically at the needs…

Public Transport

All children and young people who are under the age of 16 are able to get free or discounted travel at any time on public transport. Children aged over 10 require a Zip Oyster photocard to continue to get free travel. Children aged over 16…

Pupil Premium

What is the Pupil Premium? The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 to raise the attainment of disadvantaged children and young people (i.e. those eligible for free school meals nationally). The national allocation to schools is £2.4 billion in 2017/18 (£15 million to Islington).…


Check out what qualifications you can study full-time or part-time. You will have to study English and maths to Level 2, which is equal to GCSE grade 5/4 (or grade C) if you haven't got them yet. Whatever level you choose you can move up…

Quality Assurance

The Council ensures effective quality assurance (QA) of provision for children with SEND before and during the delivery of provision. The Children and Families Act 2014 places a duty on LAs to improve the quality of provision for children with SEND. The Code of Practice says…

Receiving a diagnosis

All children are individual and will develop at different rates. However, to get a general idea ‘milestones’ are used to help track your child’s development and to give an indication as to whether they are progressing at a ‘typical’ rate. As a general rule, if…

Registering a Birth

Legally you need to register a birth within 42 days at the Register Office in the area where the baby was born. Find out what you need to do to register your baby's birth in Islington.

Relationships and safer sex

Sex and relationships can be complicated Not finding it easy to get along with people, including your family? You can contact: Pulse offers a range of sexual health advice and other services to support young people. Lift and Platform hold regular Pulse clinics, works closely with Brook…

Renting a home

There are two ways to rent your home; Renting from the Council or a housing association Renting from a private landlord

Renting from a private landlord

When you pay rent to a private landlord to live in a home they own. A private landlord is a person or a company who owns a house that is independent of a council or a housing association. Only a small number of council or…

Reporting online abuse

If someone has said things to you on your phone, a website or chatroom you don’t like ... ... you should tell someone you trust If you can’t think of anyone, you can look at the Related services and External links section for further information.

Resident Support Scheme

Support for residents in financial crisis. See full details on Islington Council's website.

Review of Education, Health and Care Plans

Schools and settings are required to meet with parents at least three times a year when their child is receiving SEND support and are responsible for setting up these meetings.

Rights and responsibilities

Everyone has the right to be treated fairly and be protected from harm You should also respect the rights of others. The UK has additional laws that protect your rights, such as: equality laws to protect you from discrimination laws that protect you at work rights when…

Rights and responsibilities at work

There are laws to protect you in work These cover: minimum pay rates and payslips working hours and holidays contracts of employment health and safety equality and equal treatment.  In return, you have responsibilities. You should: be on time be prepared to work hard –…

Road and transport safety

Bikes and cars are great for getting about but they can be dangerous if you don’t know how to use them properly. Make sure you get proper training and you think about cycling or driving safely.