Skip to main content

Search results (3112)

Information and advice

 Directory results

Receiving a diagnosis

All children are individual and will develop at different rates. However, to get a general idea ‘milestones’ are used to help track your child’s development and to give an indication as to whether they are progressing at a ‘typical’ rate. As a general rule, if…

Registering a Birth

Legally you need to register a birth within 42 days at the Register Office in the area where the baby was born. Find out what you need to do to register your baby's birth in Islington.

Relationships and safer sex

Sex and relationships can be complicated Not finding it easy to get along with people, including your family? You can contact: Pulse offers a range of sexual health advice and other services to support young people. Lift and Platform hold regular Pulse clinics, works closely with Brook…

Renting a home

There are two ways to rent your home; Renting from the Council or a housing association Renting from a private landlord

Renting from a private landlord

When you pay rent to a private landlord to live in a home they own. A private landlord is a person or a company who owns a house that is independent of a council or a housing association. Only a small number of council or…

Reporting online abuse

If someone has said things to you on your phone, a website or chatroom you don’t like you should tell someone you trust. If you can’t think of anyone, you can look at the Related services and External links section for further information.

Resident Support Scheme

Support for residents in financial crisis. Please use the link at the end of this page for details on Islington Council's web page.

Review of Education, Health and Care Plans

Schools and settings are required to meet with parents at least three times a year when their child is receiving SEND support and are responsible for setting up these meetings.

Rights and responsibilities

Everyone has the right to be treated fairly and be protected from harm You should also respect the rights of others. The UK has additional laws that protect your rights, such as: equality laws to protect you from discrimination laws that protect you at work rights when…

Rights and responsibilities at work

There are laws to protect you in work. These cover: minimum pay rates and payslips working hours and holidays contracts of employment health and safety equality and equal treatment.  In return, you have responsibilities. You should: be on time be prepared to work hard –…

Road and transport safety

Bikes and cars are great for getting about but they can be dangerous if you don’t know how to use them properly. Make sure you get proper training and you think about cycling or driving safely.

Role and Responsibilities of all Teachers

The Council recognises has an expectation of participation, fulfilment and success for all our children. Planning for progression and differentiation are fundamental to successful teaching and learning. High expectations of progress must apply to all children working above, at, or below age-related expectations, including those who have SEND.…

The Role of a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)

All mainstream schools must ensure they have a qualified teacher designated as SEN Coordinator (SENCo). Where they have not been a SENCo at that, or any other school for more than 12 months, they must achieve a National Award in Special Educational Needs Coordination within…

The Role of Governors

Duties of Governing Bodies for SEN Governing Bodies have statutory responsibilities for pupils with SEND – they are set out in primary and secondary legislation The governing body must do its best to ensure that the school makes the necessary provision for every pupil with SEND…

The Role Teaching Assistants (TAs)

'Deployment and Impact of Support Staff' by the Institute of Education (2009) reported on a five year study of 8,200 children.  The study found that children who received the most support from TAs consistently made less progress than similar children who received less TA support.  'There has been…

Safe Havens

Safe havens are a practical way of helping everyone in Islington, including young people, to enjoy their community knowing that support is easily available if they need help. Public premises such as shops, cafes, pubs, libraries and other places of interest can register to be officially…

Safeguarding and SEND

Children with SEND are 3.4 times more likely to be abused than non-disabled children 3.8 times more likely to be neglected 3.8 times more likely to be physically abused 3.1 times more likely to be sexually abused 3.9 times more likely to be emotionally abused.…

Safer school policing

What is Safer School Policing? Currently a named police officer is provided for the 12 secondary schools in the borough and one police officer is provided for colleges, in addition there are four police officers for universities and four dedicated police officers covering 46 primary schools.This arrangement has…

School Admissions

For information on primary and secondary schools in Islington and how to apply, please visit the School Admissions web pages, or call School Admissions on 020 7527 5515.