Moving in and out of Islington - Children with Education, Health and Care Plans

Moving to Islington

If a young person has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, and their family are moving into Islington, it is helpful for parents and carers to contact the Special Education Team as early as possible. The Team can then advise them of the schools within Islington or discuss whether the child could stay at the school they are currently attending.

The local authority where the child currently lives must transfer the EHC plan to Islington. It is therefore important that parents tell their current or home authority that they intend to move area, with their new address and the date they intend to move.

Where there is currently an EHC needs assessment being carried out, the home authority must also transfer all the information and advice received.

On transfer of an EHC plan, Islington becomes responsible for maintaining the EHC plan and for the special educational provision set out in it.

Islington has 6 weeks from when they become aware the family has moved to notify the parent or young person that the EHC plan has been transferred and when it is going to be reviewed.

When adopting an EHC plan from a previous authority, Islington will try and match the provision as closely as possible. However, it is not always possible to match it exactly as schools and school places vary from authority to authority. The Special Education Team will discuss the options in Islington with the family.

In terms of health needs, if a family moves into Islington, the first step they can take is to register with a  GP, as this will be the first step in accessing most local health services.

Moving out of Islington

Islington has the responsibility of transferring a child’s Education, Health and Care Plan to the new authority. It is important that parents contact the Special Education Team before leaving Islington so that they can ensure the young person’s Plan and supporting documents (for example annual review reports) are ready to send to the new authority promptly. The team will need the new address and the intended date of move.

In terms of health needs, if a family moves out of Islington, the first thing they should do is register with a local GP.

The new area should also have a Local Offer, listing services available and sources of support for families of young people with SEND.

Moving within Islington

If a family moves house but stays within Islington, this may or may not affect the child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

It is still important that Special Education Team know about the move as early as possible so they can make sure parents or carers are aware of what the options are. They will need the new address and contact details so that any information about a young person’s EHC plan they send out reaches the parents/carers.

Related articles