Skip to main content

Student finance – full-time students

Student Finance costs fall into two parts:

  • Tuition Fee loan to cover tuition fees. Universities can charge up to £9,250 a year for tuition fees. This may change in academic year 2020 to 2021. Check the details in university prospectuses and websites. 
  • a Maintenance Loan to cover day to day living costs. The amount you get will depend upon whether or not you live at home and where you study.

These UCAS videos contain some useful information if you are thinking of applying for university, click on the link and search for 'applying'

For further information have a look at the information on the Student Loans Company website.

Other sources of funding

  • Disabled Student Allowances (DSA) a non-repayable grant, may be available if you have a disability and are likely to have extra costs as a direct result. Your university is responsible for assessing whether you are eligible for DSA and what you will receive. Allowances can be made, for example for IT equipment or a non-medical helper’s allowance. NB talk to your university about applying for DSA BEFORE you start

Additional help for specific courses

  • Social work students - eligible students may receive a non-income assessed bursary. The amount depends on where you are studying and whether you are full or part-time student and how many bursaries are available at your university.

  • Healthcare students - on courses leading to professional registration in specific healthcare occupations. This has recently changed, so be sure to check which courses are eligable, see NHS Bursary Scheme. Healthcare students can apply to Student Loans Company for a loan.

  • Dance and Drama students - there are 17 private dance and drama schools which have scholarships funded by the Dance and Drama Awards (DaDA). The awards for tuition and maintenance elements are income-assessed.

Sponsorship or higher or degree apprenticeships

A range of organisations offer sponsorship to students on degree courses with a large vocational element. Usually these are large companies or professional organisations. Many employers are now offering higher or degree apprenticeships instead of sponsorships, they may also offer paid work experience and university study. Look for details on company websites and in university prospectuses, also check out higher and degree apprenticeships. You may need to apply very early for these.

Studying abroad as part of a UK course

What you pay will depend upon the university and courses you apply for. General information on travel grants for studying abroad as part of a UK course is on Student Loans Company's website.

Part-time students

Part-time students are entitled to a loan to pay their fees providing they are studying for the equivalent of a full-time course. There is more information on Student Loans Company. See also the higher and degree apprenticeship information above.