Becoming a childminder
For those wishing to become a childminder in Islington, the Early Years and Childcare team offer a pathway to becoming registered with Ofsted. The free support provided is a mixture of essential information, training and ongoing advice.
To find out more join one of our short online sessions called 'Pathway to registering as a childminder'. The next session is on
- Wednesday 20 March 2024, 10-11.30am
- Tuesday 16 April 2024, 10-11.30am
For more information and to book email email@example.com
Islington Childminding Training
This is a free introductory training course available 3 times per year. The course supports prospective childminders in Islington preparing for their Ofsted registration. You need to attend a pathway session before you can attend the training course.
The next course is a mixture of online and classroom sessions delivered over 6 days on
- 23 April 2024, 10am-1pm online
- 24, 25, 30 April, 1 and 2 May 2024, 10am-2.30pm, Central Library
Contact Renate Laux, Childminding and Childcare Information Officer on 020 7527 5927 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like more information.
New childminder start-up grants scheme
Eligible new childminders who registered after 15 March 2023 can apply for a start-up grant to recover the cost of registering as a childminder. If you registered with with Ofsted you'll get £600.
Find out more about the childminder start-up grants scheme.
Use the free HMRC online guidance to find out about self-employment, tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses. It provides useful tips and you can look at different subjects in your own time.
Find out how to become an Ofsted registered childminder. Ofsted's guidance for childminders explains what you need to do to register with Ofsted.
Pre-registration Childminding Course
Islington childminding pre-registration training is for Islington residents who are interested in becoming a childminder. This free course is part of our pathway to becoming registered with Ofsted.
The course offers structured training sessions with presentations and facilitated discussions including
- online sessions from 10am to 1pm
- classroom sessions from 10am to 2.30pm
- tasks to complete in your self-learning time.
You will be assigned a named tutor on the first day so you can share your work, ask questions and get support throughout the course. We are a small team with a lot of experience working with Islington childminders.
The aim of the course is to:
- Support you to get ready for the Ofsted registration.
- Building knowledge of the process of registering as a childminder.
- Making the home safe through risk assessments.
- Building a business plan
- Understanding your responsibilities to safeguarding children and adults.
- Planning activities/routines to support children’s learning and development.
- Knowing how to support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
- Introduction to child development
- To be able to plan, organise and have practical ideas in setting up an enabling environment for young children.
To be able to attend the course you need to:
- attend a pathway session
- have time to attend all sessions and to study in your own time
- have access to the internet and either a laptop, tablet or smart phone with a working camera
- be willing to take part in discussion about becoming a registered childminder and running your own business.