Applying to be a youth councillor?
Can I be a youth councillor?
To be a youth councillor, you need to be:
- aged 13-17 by Tuesday 1 November 2022 to stand for election
- either live or go to school in Islington, or looked after by a foster carer for Islington Council
- committed to spending 3 hours a week on your role as a youth councillor
- enthusiastic, committed and passionate about the issues you want to campaign about.
I’m interested! What do I do next?
Firstly, have a read through the information about what youth councillors do, the support you’ll receive with your campaign, and how becoming a youth councillor could really benefit you.
Once you have read through the information, if you are still interested in becoming a youth councillor, you will need to attend one of the following information sessions:
- Tuesday 4 October, 4.30pm-6.30pm at Lift youth hub
- Wednesday 5 October, 4.30pm-6.30pm at Platform youth hub
To book your place, complete the online registration form.
Deadline for Youth Councillor applications extended
Due to the sad passing of the Queen, the deadline to apply to stand for election as a Youth Councillor has been extended to Friday 30 September at 9pm. Please apply if you are aged 13-17 to be a Youth Councillor
About the information sessions
At the information session we will tell you more about what it is like to be a youth councillor and what will be expected of you, and you'll be given a Candidate Application Pack for you to take away. It is then up to you to decide whether it is something you’d like to do.
To apply to become a youth councillor you will need:
- signed permission from your parent or guardian, and confirmation by your school/college
- to answer all the required questions in the Candidate Application Pack and return them by Wednesday 12 October (between 10am and 6pm)
- to agree and sign the Youth Councillor Commitment.
If you are selected as a candidate, you will be required to attend a campaign training session on Saturday 15 October. At this session, you will receive support to help your campaign, so you can let other young people know why they should vote for you.