Financial Advice

In debt and don't know where to turn? Then it is time to think about getting help. You are not alone - there is lots of help and support available in Islington, offering free, confidential and independent advice.

Islington Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
You can also book an appointment to see an Islington CAB advisor by calling 020 3475 5080 (Monday-Friday 10am-1pm, 2-4.30pm).  This free, independent and confidential service offers advice on debts, benefits, housing, employment, discrimination and a range of other issues.  Islington Citizens Advice Bureau appointments are available to all Islington residents and take place at the council offices at 222 Upper Street.

Income Maximisation team
This council team can check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to and advise on benefit changes. Call us Monday-Friday between 9.30am - 4.30pm Freephone (from landline) 0800 731 8081 or 020 7527 4990 (option 4). You can also email We can check your benefit to make sure that you are getting the correct money.

Support you to make benefit and tax credit claims.
Help you to challenge and appeal benefit decisions.
Advise you on how working can make you better off.
Look at how much help you may get with childcare costs.
Help you with your benefits when you start work or have a change in your circumstances.
Advise and support you with benefit changes such as the ‘Bedroom Tax’, Benefit Cap and Universal Credit
For more information on the support available to assist you, go to the money advice section of the Islington Website.

You can also look in the ‘Debt Advice’ and ‘Money and Benefits’ categories on Links for Living and/or search for keywords such as'debt' and 'benefits.'

Planning for the Cost of Care
Some social care services are charged for, depending on your ability to pay, and the cost of care can be expensive. The Money Advice Service has produced a series of guides about the cost of care and if you are asked to contribute towards the cost of care services how you can plan to pay for these services. The following websites are a good place to start.

You may also want to seek independent professional financial advice. The Money Advice Service also produces a guide for consumers looking for financial advice which can be found here:

Related articles