Housing Network

In a housing network you will live in your own home, which is usually a council or housing association flat. There will be other people living in flats nearby who are also part of the housing network.
Housing networks are for people with learning disabilities who are more independent and who are usually able to carry out their own personal care and cook for themselves.

  • Everyone in the group of homes is supported by a community living volunteer who lives close by.
  • The volunteer provides support and advice to help you keep your tenancy.

Housing network members meet other members and take part in activities together.

This helps you to make friends and gives you the chance to take part in local activities.
You get support from housing network staff about once a week for a few hours. They will help you to;

  • Pay your bills
  • Look for a job
  • Go to college or do activities in your local area
Things to think about

Tenancy – when you rent a council or housing association home you are a tenant and you have a tenancy agreement. You can only lose your tenancy if you break certain rules, and if a judge agrees.

Tenancy agreement - a legal document that says you can live in your home as long as you pay the rent and follow the rules in the agreement.

Rent - council and housing association rents may be lower than the cost of renting a private home and can usually be paid with housing benefit.

Repairs - a council or housing association will carry most of the repairs to your home.

Want to find out more?

Islington Learning Disability Partnership can work with you to decide if this is the right service for you.

Related articles