Specialist residential care services

What is it?

Residential care homes are for people who need a high level of skilled support 24 hours a day. They are an alternative to high and very high supported accommodation services.
You have your own bedroom, and often a bathroom, and you share a kitchen and living space with the other people. Usually about 8 people share a house, but some homes have more people.

The support provided can include some or all of the following:

  • Personal care need such as bathing or dressing
  • Day to day tasks such as laundry, preparing a snack or shopping
  • Helping you to become more independent with things such as managing your money, staying safe or using buses
  • Taking part in community activities, such as going to college, the leisure centre, cafes, theatres or going on holiday.

All residential care homes are registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Who can apply?

Islington Learning Disability Partnership (ILDP) will work with you to find out if a residential care home and support would meet your needs.

Where are they?

There are two residential care homes in Islington, and many in other London boroughs and further away. If ILDP does not have a vacancy in the right service for you in Islington at the time you need it, ILDP will look for services as close to Islington as possible. When a vacancy in Islington becomes available, you may want to discuss moving back.

Things to think about

Support – do you need skilled staff available to support you in a planned way 24 hours a day?
Sharing – are there any advantages for you in sharing a house with others?
Becoming independent – do you want the help they offer for a limited time to help you move on more independently on the future?

Paying for Residential Care Homes

ILDP usually pays for most of your housing and support costs in a residential care home. You pay your benefits towards the cost of this.

You will be able to keep a weekly allowance of about £20, and in addition you may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance if you have mobility needs.

You do not have a tenancy agreement with a landlord in a residential care home and so you cannot apply for Housing Benefit. You do not have the rights or responsibilities of a tenant, as in a supported housing scheme. The service may give ILDP notice if the placement is not working out.

Related articles