Employment and Support Allowance

If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

  • Financial support if you’re unable to work
  • Personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self employed or unemployed.

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. If you are, you could get it at the same time or instead of the ‘new style’ ESA.  You might be transferred to ESA if you’ve been claiming other benefits like income support or incapacity benefit.

Click here for help to claim ESA.

Related articles