Working Time Regulations are rules for both adults and young workers (aged 16 to 18) on the maximum hours you can work. There are separate rules that cover young people in part-time work whilst at school and under the official school leaving age.
Young workers aged 16 to 17 may not ordinarily work:
- more than eight hours a day or 40 hours a week. There is no opt out of this as there is for adults
- at night between 10pm and 6am. There are exceptions in certain kinds of employment. Go to GOV.UK for further details.
Young workers are entitled to
- a rest break of 30 minutes after working 4½ hours
- 12 uninterrupted hours off in each 24 hour period worked
- two days off in each seven-day period
- holidays. Full-time workers are entitled to at least 28 days paid holiday each year, an employer can offer more. This entitlement to holidays includes bank holidays.