There are laws to protect you in work.
- minimum pay rates and payslips
- working hours and holidays
- contracts of employment
- health and safety
- equality and equal treatment.
In return, you have responsibilities. You should:
- be on time
- be prepared to work hard – whatever your job, your employer expects high standards
- ring in early and tell your employer if you are ill and unable to work
- arrange with your employer, in reasonable time, when you want time off
- follow health and safety training and not do anything to affect anyone’s safety.
This section has more details of your rights and responsibilities and where to go if things go wrong.